#197 Show Notes
Co-Hosts: Vic, John S.
Host and Co-host specific notes are displayed like this
All Hosts and Co-Hosts must read “How to Host an Episode of Podcast 17” before coming on the show. The host needs to read chapter 1 but all hosts/cohosts must read Chapter 2 and 3. Remember to read the tips at the bottom of the agenda... they are a summary of the changes being enacted for this episode.
Intros and Heads Up!
Free range segment where you talk about what mods/games you have been playing. This is where you will mention new mods but don’t focus on them like media blitz If it doesn’t feel natural, drop it.
- William has finished his five part let’s play of BlackStar, you can watch him noclip through a few maps!
- William will be doing a let’s play of Anna this week... It has gotten a lot of press attention.
Podcast 17 News
- New experimental format
- Submit Discussion Topics
- Taking submissions for sidecasts.podcast17.com
- Contact thelastlambda or [email protected] for details
Follow-Up & Errata
From the Mouth of Valve
- Linux Blog: Steam'd Penguins.
- Dota 2 Blog: The song of war commences.
- Portal Blog: Wheatley in Spaaaaaaace!
- Abrash: Why You Won't See Hard AR Anytime Soon.
Releases and Updates
We are only going to be discussing and reviewing mods if majority of the hosts have played them. If you are struggling to say something or just making general statements about it, just move on.
Mention to submit community discussion topics to the google doc form
- Is there a significant enough playerbase on Linux OS’s to warrant Valve’s investment in a Steam & Source engine port? - William
- Does Phillip “own” his content, and do other content providers “own” their content? Did Phillip have the right to get upset over the content he prepared being uploaded from PlanetPhillip onto ModDB. Are mod developers able to be selective of what happens to their mod once it is posted on the internet? Full story below - William
- If the creator of a project changes leadership to someone else, do they still have the creative right to shutdown the project or retake control? -Patrick
- With Valve planning on offering software in the future, is it a step in the right direction considering their userbase? -Gerardo
- Are AAA game developers stuck in a “rut” because of outdated generation consoles? Recently in an article EA’s Frank Gibeau said “The introduction of new hardware from the big three is going to allow us to re-embark on a bunch of new IPs, because it's the better time to do it, because you can really explore new ideas and do different things” - William
- Will Source Film Festival '12 show that there is a market for independent films easily made in Source? -Gerardo
- Half-Life 2 Art Director Viktor Antonov’s suggestion: “Let’s do more science-fiction and more crazy worlds out there.” Does a mod need to incorporate ALL elements of design (gameplay, art, music, models... etc. ) or focus on 1 or 2 and excel at those to be successful?
- http://kotaku.com/5927467/half+life-2-art-director-laments-the-stale-state-of-modern-video-games -Tipped by Ade.
N3 D (Non-Noteworthy News & Discussion)
Put all former media blitz items here and other news that would not be good for discussion. This news will NOT be featured on the podcast and will just be used as a resource. If one of these topics can become a discussion move it to there and add the major point you will be discussing.
- HL2: Breen's Brainswash –Media Update #1.
- Fall of Saigon – July Update: Modeling Spotlight.
- Dino Crisis 1 Source – Generator 1 (Work in progress).
- Office Complex – July Update.
- Mission Improbable – Final stretch of development!
- http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ww9ey/recent_activity_around_halflife_3_episode_3/ - Tipped by Svenare.
- "Miigga is looking for trusted betatesters for his upcomming mod, Baryonic Predicament. Here’s an early preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRAvHzozDaw " -Tipped by Ade.
Post-Show Play Session
Get a chance to play a game with the cast and crew of P17. Join us in our mumble server (188.8.131.52:2812) to talk with us after the show. Feel free to come back during the week and talk/play with other community members.
- Team Fortress 2 (server and gamemode tbd)
Tips to Remember!
- Discuss! It is okay to derail a little and get off topic, thats what makes it interesting instead of just sticking to a script.
- Please remember discussions are BACK and FORTH conversations, going around in a circle, asking people’s opinions, and then moving on is not discussing. Discussion may mean X talks for 5 minutes, Y rebuts for 3 minutes, X rebuts for another 5 minutes, and then Z interjects with his own opinion different from the previous two.
- Things to remember after the 15 minute mark no more news discussion. I’ll be timing it but if I am not there the host should be doing the same.
- Read the mandatory reading on how to debate and speak.
- Also this document will eventually go live on the rough agenda page so please do not screw it up or all editing privileges will be revoked.