#199 Show Notes feat. PlanetPhillip Exclusive Magnar Interview
The interview with Magnar Jessen is scheduled for 2 PM GMT.
Co-Hosts: Dave, John, Brett
Time: Saturday, August 4th, 2012 9:00 GMT
Host and Co-host specific notes are displayed like this
All Hosts and Co-Hosts must read “How to Host an Episode of Podcast 17” before coming on the show. The host needs to read chapter 1 but all hosts/cohosts must read Chapter 2 and 3. Remember to read the tips at the bottom of the agenda... they are a summary of the changes being enacted for this episode.
Intros and Heads Up!
Free range segment where you talk about what mods/games you have been playing. This is where you will mention new mods but don’t focus on them like media blitz If it doesn’t feel natural, drop it.
- New youtube videos:
- Mission Improbable
Podcast 17 News
- New experimental format
- Submit Discussion Topics
- Taking submissions for sidecasts.podcast17.com
- Contact thelastlambda or [email protected] for details
- New & updated social media sites Facebook , Twitter, and Google+
- Looking for people who want to be writers, Hosts/co-hosts, reviewers, video creators, content creators, coders, musician, and web site developers
Follow-Up & Errata
From the Mouth of Valve
- Steam Modifies their EULA. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/01/steams-sub-agreement-prohibits-class-action-lawsuits/
- There are some additional changes that are not being discussed on major news outlets:
- Valves potential response to the recent EU ruling that you can trade in digital games:
- “nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use).”
- “You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.”
- Valve is now able to share your chat, forum post, usernames, and usage data to third party affiliates:
- has been changed from “you expressly grant Valve the complete and irrevocable right to use” to“you expressly grant Valve and its affiliates the complete and irrevocable right to use”
- Clarification on account termination:
- “Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time. In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or improper or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees, will be granted.”
- Valve has also moved all “digital EU subscriptions” to its european affiliate in luxemburg germany, reasons similar to why Apple, amazon etc. have affiliates in Ireland:
- Keep in mind EULAs are often not really legally binding or considered null and void in large parts of the EU if some things apply e.g. you bought a product and entered a purchase agreement with another party before seeing and having to agree to said contract or if it goes against applicable law. There has been many instances where EULAs have been broken in courts.
- More Steam Linux News, just technical details and benchmarks on OpenGL vs. DirectX in Windows
- Valve released the Team Fortress 2 Triad Pack (available to all not just sleeping dog preorders)
Releases and Updates
We are only going to be discussing and reviewing mods if majority of the hosts have played them. If you are struggling to say something or just making general statements about it, just move on.
- Mission Improbable 3 released
- Baryonic Predicament
- Fist full of Frags patch for master servers
- Goldeneye: Source Update
Mention to submit community discussion topics to the google doc form
- With people such as John Patrick Lowrie/Ellen McClain in full support but Robert Yang not so excited about the name, Gaymers Con is attracting a lot of attention. In certain areas of the world, the rights of homosexuals is a hot button issue, but is this the best idea for a con? Do you have any opinions on the name or the con itself? - Gerardo
- Is the Oculus Rift the next step for gaming? Do you think this device will be considered a necessary step that advanced the medium in the future or will it wane out of existence with ideas such as the Eyetoy, Kinect, and PS move? Finally, if it was in an affordable price range (about the price of a video game console) would you get one? - Gerardo
- ModDB turned 10 years old. What do you think lead to the success of Moddb and what do you think they need to do to stay relevant 10 years from now? -Gerardo
- Steam Modifies their EULA. Individual suits will be paid for by the Valve Corporation, however in the new terms individuals cannot band together to form class action lawsuits, nor can people affected by class action lawsuits claim retroactive damages. It’s hard to say what Valve is up to with the EULA changes until somebody actually attempts to issue a class action lawsuit. Does this protect valve against people banding together if Valve ever goes on a “banning” spree. Is Valve actually up to something tricky? I suggest you all to read and reread this article to get a good idea on what’s going on. We aren’t lawyers so it’s really hard for us to determine the cause and effect behind this, but it’s something to keep an eye on. - William
- It seems AAA survival horror is out the door, gone are the days where Resident Evil would actually scare us. Is it now up to the indie scene to keep survival horror alive? With games like Slender, Amnesia, Soul Survivor etc. and no actual scary AAA games. I was telling a coworker how scary “Slender” was... and he said to me “I haven’t been scared by a video game in 10 years” I found this shocking, but then realized he was only playing AAA games. I told him to play Slender and he was extremely surprised the next day. What are the consequences of this death of true survival horror? - William
- On top of just that, are mods like Slender Source trying to take advantage of indie horror craze? Will they be able to provide the unique experience of horror in a multiplayer setting? -Gerardo
- “Let’s talk about Death!!”. Death in video games can be more than just a respawn... let’s discuss some ways that we have experienced death in video games that were unique or game changing. Anything from perma death like in Eve Online to simple respawns in TF2. Things like respawn timers, death penalties, having to replay areas of a scary game, frustration, games you can’t die like Heavy Rain, consequences of death, games with no death consequences. Lives in games like Mario. Games like ARMA which have HEAVY consequences. - William
- "Why aren't more mods modifable?" - Mods are about community, sharing and openness; yet why does Modding Culture hardly ever seem to allow mod Assets (art, code, sounds etc.) to be freely re-used by others? What can we do to improve this situation? - Henry Swanson
- SWTOR has gone free to play under both pressure and through necessity. Are month-by-month pay models feasible now a days? Under what circumstances do month-by-month models work? Why is EVE so popular, why is WOW so popular? Why do people pay monthly subscriptions - William
N3 D (Non-Noteworthy News & Discussion)
Put all former media blitz items here and other news that would not be good for discussion. This news will NOT be featured on the podcast and will just be used as a resource. If one of these topics can become a discussion move it to there and add the major point you will be discussing.
- ModDB turns 10!
- Everybody`s Gone to the Rapture (Dear Esthers Spirtual Sucessor)
- Lost Story is looking pretty nifty - William
- Stanley Parable Update - William
- Golden Eye Source Release Countdown
- Slender Source Weekly Update
- Phillip, of PlanetPhillip.com, will be hosting an interview with Magnar, creator of Whoopservatory and Mission Improbable 3 at 2PM GMT.
Post-Show Play Session
Get a chance to play a game with the cast and crew of P17. Join us in our mumble server (18.104.22.168:2812) to talk with us after the show. Feel free to come back during the week and talk/play with other community members.
Tips to Remember!
- Make sure to complete your BIO for the new Staff page by August 5th.
- Discuss! It is okay to derail a little and get off topic, thats what makes it interesting instead of just sticking to a script.
- Please remember discussions are BACK and FORTH conversations, going around in a circle, asking people’s opinions, and then moving on is not discussing. Discussion may mean X talks for 5 minutes, Y rebuts for 3 minutes, X rebuts for another 5 minutes, and then Z interjects with his own opinion different from the previous two.
- Things to remember after the 15 minute mark no more news talk. I’ll be timing it but if I am not there the host should be doing the same.
- Read the mandatory reading on how to debate and speak.
- Also this document will eventually go live on the rough agenda page so please do not screw it up or all editing privileges will be revoked.
- Remember to mention the non-noteworthy news BUT don’t talk about it
- Talk about your own experiences/ new games “Heads Up”
- Try to keep the show between 60 to 75 minutes